Summer is finally here and everyone is rushing around and training hard to get into shape for the beach. No one wants to head to the beach and be unhappy with the way their body looks in a swimsuit or bikini. With that being said, here are some last minute tips to remember.
Losing A Few More Pounds
If you are unhappy that you are holding onto just a few more pounds than you would like, you can change up your workouts a little bit to achieve that look you so desire. Here are some tips for losing a few more pounds:
- Start your morning off by doing 30-60 minutes of cardio on an empty stomach
- Change your rep range during weight training to 15 reps and cut your rest periods to under 1 minute
- Cut out all sodas, teas, etc and stick to JUST water
- Cut out all carbohydrates after 6pm
- Cut your cardio sessions up into 2 sessions (1 in the morning/1 at night)
- Lower your carbohydrate intake
- Cut out 500 calories from your diet every day
- Increase protein intake to preserve lean muscle mass and to keep your metabolism burning more calories throughout the day
Guys, this isn’t just for the ladies (which for them pretty much goes without saying). Ladies, of course shaving your legs/pits/bikini line are pretty much daily chores for you—so please continue. If you roll up to the beach and have hairier legs than the guy you showed up with, please stay waist deep in the water. Guys… it wouldn’t hurt for you to trim up as well. If you take off your shirt and you have more hair on your back than on your head, PLEASE find a razor immediately! We all heard that the “manly” thing to have is hair. Well times are changing and even guys are shaving their bodies. And to be completely honest with you, they should. If you work hard and train and eat right there is no reason to hide your physique. If you have a rockin’ six-pack and defined physique but have it covered by hair resembling Chewbacca, then what’s the point? Be proud of your hard work and show it off.
I highly recommend the following tips for shaving:
- Use shaving cream if using a razor
- Make sure you have a newer razor so the dull blade doesn’t irritate your skin
- Use electric or battery operated hair trimmers to cut the hair closer to your skin before you use a razor
- Get someone to shave your back as it is difficult to do it yourself (guys, this is where your girlfriend/wife comes into play—but be nice to them for helping!)
- Shave going with the grain of your hair, don’t go against it
- Make sure you are in good lighting, if not you might miss some spots
- Using a body lotion afterwards is a good idea to ease and protect the skin after possibly being irritated by shaving
- Shave every few days to lessen the work needed to be done to keep the smooth skin look and feel (yes, the ladies will want to feel your soft skin)
I’ll be honest—I’m not a huge fan of going tanning all the time. If used occasionally then I see no problem with it. With that being said I do want to point out right away that too much tanning has been known to increase the risk of skin cancer. What I would recommend is finding a tanning salon that has a spray tanning booth. Many of them do have such machines and if you want to add color safely, I would highly recommend this option. It is a little more pricy than laying/standing in a bed but to me, your health is more important. If tanning outside, please remember the sunscreen. Even when using sunscreen you can obtain a tan, so don’t think that you need to go sans lotion to obtain a nice tan. Getting burnt is very bad for the skin and damaging. Avoid getting burnt at all costs.
Adding a little color to your skin will definitely help show off your hard work. It will show off more definition and have you looking a little healthier than being a pasty white color (no shame in being white without a tan though, as I’m rocking the “Casper the Friendly Ghost look right now).
Water Weight Management
Some people tend to hold onto water weight no matter how lean they get. There’s nothing more frustrating than getting to your desired weight and getting ready to hit the beach or your favorite vacation spot and be holding onto some water that hides some of your definition. For this you can supplement with a water pill or diuretic. This will help pull excess water from underneath the skin and give your skin that “tight” look you desire to show of those abs and defined physique. These types of products can be found at just about any sports nutrition store or online.
Author: Matt Weik
You can follow Matt on Twitter @weikfitness
If you need some help getting the summer body you desire then get set up with a program by emailing Matt at firstname.lastname@example.org.